I have a feeling its going to be a wild one. I know it will be at our house.
If you have a BBQ to go to or your having your own here’s a great recipe you can try.
CORN & BLACK BEAN QUINOA SALAD
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried black beans or 2.5 cups *canned black beans
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 2/3 cup red quinoa
- 3 large ears fresh corn, husked
- 6.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds, toasted, and ground
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup lime juice, plus 1 whole lime cut into 12 wedges
- 2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
*If you are using the canned beans skip step 1 and add the canned beans to Step 7.
- Combine 8 cups of water, beans and garlic in a large saucepan. bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the beans to a simmer and cook the beans until tender, 1 to 1.5 hours. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer another 10-15 minutes so the salt can flavor the beans. drain, discard garlic and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high.
- Place peppers on a baking sheet and broil 3-4 inches from heat source, turning often, until blistered and charred, 8-15 minutes total. transfer to a paper bag and seal or put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 10 mins. Peel the peppers and discard the stems, ribs and seeds. Tear the peppers into fat strips and cut the strips in 1-inch lengths.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add quinoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt; boil until tender but still crunchy, 10-14 minutes. Drain well and spread on a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring another pot of water to a boil, Add corn and cook for 3 minutes. Let cool slightly, then slice the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife.
- Heat 1.5 teaspoons oil in medium nonstick over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until limp and speckled with charred spots., 4-8 minutes. Stir in cumin.
- Combine the beans, peppers, corn, onion and cheese in a large bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and toss. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons of oil, lime juice and toss. Gently stir in the quinoa.
- Just before serving stir in the tomatoes and cilantro. garnish with avocado and lime wedges.
Serve and enjoy!!!
NEED AN OUTFIT?!
If your anything like me I wait till the last minute to find an outfit. For you procrastinators, here’s an idea for you that you could pick up today depending on where you live.
Be safe today friends!